Thursday, July 28, 2005

Minor Truths

Minor Truths I Have Found

The true test of a man’s character is what he does when no one is watching.

Fortune favours the bold. ~Virgil~

A Poet looks at the World the way a man looks at a woman. ~ Wallace Stevens~

Everything is complicated; if that were not so, life and poetry and everything else would be a bore. ~ Wallace Stevens~

It is the unknown that excites the ardor of scholars, who, in the known alone, would shrivel up with boredom. ~ Wallace Stevens~

Perhaps the truth depends on a walk around the lake. ~ Wallace Stevens~
Dante said that “the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality.”

Just as my fingers on the keys / Make music, so the selfsame sounds / On my spirit make a music, too. / Music is feeling, then, not sound. ~Wallace Stevens~

I do not know which to prefer, the beauty of inflections, or the beauty of innuendoes, The blackbird whistling, Or just after. ~Wallace Stevens~

The moments of happiness we enjoy take us by surprise. It is not that we seize them, but they seize us. - Ashley Montagu

Happiness is not a state to arrive at, but a manner of traveling.
The true secret of happiness lies in taking a genuine interest in all the details of daily life and elevating them to an art. - William Morris

Blessed is he who has learned to laugh at himself for he shall nevercease to be entertained. - John Boswell

It isn't enough to talk about peace, one must believe it. And it isn't enough to believe in it, one must work for it. ~ Eleanor Roosevelt ~

"I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones." ~ John Cage ~

1 comment:

Jen Galicinski said...

Namaste, baby girl! I'm so glad you have a blog now! I will go to it daily - I wish i knew about it sooner! I can't wait till you go to India! You will love it! I hope that you have a great flight and a great time with your mom before you go....

And btw, i love this entry - I love the one about laughing at yourself - for that is sooooooooo me - i think i would go crazy if I didn't !!! :)

love you and kisses!